We recently decided to support a Kickstarter project by Simone Shifnadel of Zenbelly Catering. Zenbelly Kitchen will be a shared gluten-free kitchen in San Francisco.
From their Kickstarter site:
The funds raised will go towards:
- Purchase equipment for production, including prep tables, ovens, refrigeration, and storage
- Obtain a Gluten-Free certification
- Purchase initial supplies and ingredients
Zenbelly Kitchen will provide:
- A workspace for gluten-free bakers and chefs.
- A workspace for anyone with a naturally gluten-free product (jams, chocolate, raw foods, juice, etc)
- An organic gluten-free catering company, safe for celiacs, worry free for those with gluten intolerance, and amazingly delicious for everyone.
- A Paleo food to go & meal delivery service, serving local pasture raised meats from Fallon Hills Ranch and organic seasonal vegetable dishes sourced from local farms.
- A neighborhood coffee shop, serving grain free and gluten free baked goods, and locally made artisan creations.
- A place of education, offering assistance to those who are transitioning to a gluten free lifestyle.
While we are in the Bay Area, we are a bit far from SF, so we won’t be able to take advantage of this place very often. We still felt it was important to support this plan. There is a lot of “bootstrapping” going on in the Gluten Free Community. There are so many new small GF businesses starting lately. Software startups have huge support networks all over the country. This appears to be the same kind of support for new GF companies.
We weren’t able to give a lot, but every little bit will help them. Even if you aren’t in SF, please consider their proposal and give what you can.